On August 9th, my mom brought me into this world.
That’s right today, I am celebrating my 56th birthday. In reflection, I am truly blessed. I’ve been married 36 years and counting to an outstanding man of God. Blessed to have a super smart son, who is just as handsome. I have brothers who check on me more than I do. As it relates to women in my life, my mom and sister-in-law are rocking with independence and godliness. I have friends who are like family which is worth its weight in gold.
As I walk into this next step in life, I get a common question “What does the second half of my life look like?”
Take it from a woman who feels extremely blessed to be upright taking nourishment, decide to “do you” because everyone else is taken. Truth be told, I have spent much of my time assimilating to the directive of others. Trying to prove to others that I belong. About 5 years ago, I decided that it was time out for allowing others to dictate the path God has ordained for me. It has been a journey of making peace with myself and others. I have found it is less about being aggressive and more about applying grace to my journey of self love.
Regardless, of age or phase of life you are in right now, consider the following:
• You can’t make everyone happy.
• Where ever journey you are taking, you can’t get there by yourself.
• You really can recover from a fall, disappointments and heartbreak.
• There are some decisions that others may never understand because they are not part of your destiny.
• Live in a way that does not compromise your integrity or betray yourself.
• If you decide to do some type of augmentation, be sure you are doing it for you. Everything goes south at some point!
• Learn to calm your mind of situations and circumstances you really do not have control over.
• Find a way to manage anxiety and depression. See a counselor. Take up yoga, run, bike, walk – but do something!
• Be around real friends. Yes, be around folks that would donate a body part for you. (not literally, unless you need it). That’s a true friend.
I leave you with this thought…from the blockbuster movie John Wick, they kept asking him, “are you back?”. At some point in the movie, under his most pressured time, he replies, “Yea, I’m thinking I’m back.” Regardless of where you find yourself today, make a conscious decision to say, “Yea, I’m back!”
Celebrate your birthday everyday!.